Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Response to Bound to El Norte: Don Bartletti Photography Exhibit

As a student who works at Memorial Library, I noticed that there was a new addition to the lobby area, the Bound to El Norte: Don Bartletti Photography Exhibit (See previous announcement blog post). I would usually glance at it briefly before heading to work, and I have noticed that many others did the same, just stopping briefly then carrying on with their lives.

The other day I stopped and took the time to appreciate the exhibit. I looked at every single photograph and read the brief stories below them. The photographs are very powerful and really depict what the journey is like for immigrants trying to make their way to the United States. After going through all the photographs, I experienced sadness, especially after seeing pictures of children taking such dangerous risks to find their mothers, but I also felt an overwhelming sense of empowerment. Empowerment to help these immigrants in any way that I can and hope that others feel the same way.

These feelings are why I recommend that you also stop by the exhibit at Memorial Library by February 27 or at Ebling Library from March 1-30. After viewing the exhibit, feel free to leave your comments in the notebook on display.

Jessica Waala
Undergraduate Student

Comments posted to the Go Big Read blog are moderated. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments that include any of the following:

1. Offensive or inappropriate language
  2. Personal attacks
  3. Copyrighted materials used without permission in cases where permission is required
  4. External links and/or comments that are not relevant to the original post

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Jessica. I wish I would have been able to see the portraits, but I'm too late.
I actually had to take an art appreciation class for my degree, but really didn't want to. After being "forced" to do it though, I found that I actually enjoyed it immensely. I especially liked going to the museums, and just browsing all the paintings and pictures. It was wonderful, and now when I look at a piece of art, I see it in a different way.
I'm a shutter bug myself, but I enjoy paintings and such very much. I can snap a picture, but can't paint, so I truly admire these artists.
Thanks for the post. Did you ever find a way to help these people?

July 26, 2012 at 7:15 AM  
Anonymous yulia tyler said...

i am so curious about that "sadness stimulation" photo, and yeah picture that tell story always move people heart to do some action, do you have an idea to help these immigrant?

May 16, 2014 at 3:25 AM  
Anonymous Miguel Araujo said...

nice post Jessica

May 22, 2014 at 4:58 PM  
Anonymous Pembe göl Hiller said...

Thank you very much for information. This is useful article.

King Regards,

June 7, 2014 at 5:03 AM  
Anonymous Agencygfe said...

Interesting article. thanks for your information.

June 28, 2014 at 3:55 AM  
Blogger podaru bogdan said...

Excellent article. I look forward to interacting with you and reading more of your work. Have a wonderful day! =)

pd

August 12, 2014 at 8:02 AM  
Blogger Arifin McReinhart said...

they try to find a better life.. nice post Jessica......... :)

February 12, 2015 at 11:01 AM  
Anonymous Agen Bola said...

This is a fantastic website and I can not recommend you guys enough. Full of useful resource and great layout very easy on the eyes.

February 15, 2015 at 8:04 PM  
Anonymous Festival Wallpaper said...

Interesting to Read this article. thanks for your information.

February 16, 2015 at 6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home