Thursday, September 5, 2013

Guest Book Review: Thoughts from Louise Robbins

Guest Review:

I have just finished reading the BIG READ book: Ozeki's A Tale for the Time Being
Me: "I'm finished. I'm sad."  
Patrick Robbins: "Did it have a sad ending?" 
Me: "No. I'm sad there is no more to read."

It’s a wonderful book with too many discussable themes to count. Off the top of my head: the environment; technology and its uses; zen Buddhism; war; bullying; the aesthetics and ethics of suicide; being and time; history and memory; mutual construction of the writer and the reader. And none of these weighty themes are pounded or expounded to oblivion. The characters—and the settings—grabbed me and kept me spellbound. I found myself torn between jotting notes in the margin and rushing headlong to the next page. The next page won. I'm going to read it again.
A Tale for the Time Being joins two other books of the last ten years on my list of favorites: The Poisonwood Bible and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.
I’m hoping to participate in some of the discussions. And you may find me sitting zazen.
Professor Emerita,
School of Library and Information Studies

*If you'd like to submit a review, please contact us! 

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments posted to the Go Big Read blog are moderated. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments that include any of the following:

1. Offensive or inappropriate language
  2. Personal attacks
  3. Copyrighted materials used without permission in cases where permission is required
  4. External links and/or comments that are not relevant to the original post

1 Comments:

Anonymous Puri Bali said...

Having read this I thought it was rather informative. I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put this content together. I once again find myself spending a lot of time both reading and posting comments. But so what, it was still worth it!

Regards

June 9, 2014 at 6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home