Monday, October 14, 2013

Suggest a Question for Ruth Ozeki

Would you like to ask this year's Go Big Read author a question about her book, her writing process, etc.?

Ruth Ozeki's October 28th lecture at Varsity Hall, Union South, is free and open to the public. The event will begin at 7 pm (doors open at 6 pm) and no tickets are required. We hope you'll attend and invite anyone you know who might be interested.

Due to the large scale of the Varsity Hall event, some of the question and answer period will be moderated. Questions should be suggested in writing by October 23rd. The moderator will select a representative set of questions and ask them to Ozeki at the event.

If you would like to suggest a question, please post it as a comment to this blog post. Please also consider including your name and some very brief information about yourself (e.g., your major, unit, etc.).

* Please note that blog comments are moderated so there may be a delay of up to 24 hours between submitting your question and seeing it appear on the blog.

Labels: , , , ,

Comments posted to the Go Big Read blog are moderated. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments that include any of the following:

1. Offensive or inappropriate language
  2. Personal attacks
  3. Copyrighted materials used without permission in cases where permission is required
  4. External links and/or comments that are not relevant to the original post

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What was/is the reaction in Japan to Ruth's book? -- Question posed by a community book discussion group

October 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How would you articulate the value of literature to those students involved in the disciplines of science, technology, engineering or math?

October 22, 2013 at 9:14 AM  
Blogger HikariNaito said...

My name is Mai Nadia, and I'm planning to get a degree in Computer Science, particularly in the gaming industry. I am part of the Japanese Pop Culture FIG (First-Year Interest Group) on campus, and we used A Tale for the Time Being as a guiding text for the class.

First of all I'd, like to commend Mrs. Ozeki for authoring such a powerful book. As a reader, the narrative and the myriad of different perspectives from each character (such as Jiko, Haruki #1, Nao, and Ruth the character) has helped me expand my own views of the world and come to understand it in ways I would not have before. Haruki #2's story of being fired for attempting to build a 'conscience' into his controllers affected me particularly deeply - as someone who is interested in working in the gaming industry, I realized for the first time what the negative implications of my future job might be, and I thank Mrs. Ozeki for helping me see the other side of the coin.

As for questions, I have quite a few of them in relation to the book.
1. What is the overall 'message' presented to the readers of A Tale for the Time Being? What would Mrs. Ozeki want the readers to take with them when they finish the book?
2. The Jungle Crow is mentioned many times in the book as a seemingly central figure. Who or what is the Jungle Crow, and what does it represent?
3. Time seems very skewed in the book. There are also a lot of references to quantum physics, e.g. Schrodinger's Cat and the many-worlds theory. How do the elements of time and the many-worlds theory relate to our world now?
4. Is bullying (ijime) in Japanese schools common? Are they as extreme as Nao's own experiences of ijime? What inspired Mrs. Ozeki to include ijime in the book, and at length?

Thank you for the wonderful book, and I wish you success in your future endeavors.

October 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM  
Blogger Logan Reigstad said...

Question from Logan Reigstad (freshman): When you wrote the novel, did you intend for the title to be read as "A Tale For the Time Being" (emphasis on the word 'being') or "A Tale For the Time Being" (emphasis on the word 'time')? The latter would reference Jiko’s idea that all humans are just beings in time, while the former would emphasize the being rather than time.

October 23, 2013 at 10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Ruth, I greatly enjoyed reading your novel. My question is Where is the Driftless Area in Wisconsin? Many thanks, UW Alumni 1964

October 24, 2013 at 6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is the Driftless Area?

October 24, 2013 at 6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home