Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Goodreads Interview with Ruth Ozeki

In case you haven't gotten enough Ruth Ozeki yet, check out this awesome interview with our Go Big Read author! Goodreads readers submitted questions about A Tale for the Time Being, and Ruth Ozeki sat down with the interviewers to chat about the book, her writing process, her concepts of reality and fiction, self, creativity and everything in between. Below, a few quotations worth thinking about:

My feeling is that as a person, as a storyteller, I want to be very careful with the kinds of things I put into the world. I want to make sure that I am writing from a place of integrity, whatever that might mean. For me, it means that I am writing in the most honest way I know. And that doesn't mean telling the truth.

My books grow out of my preoccupations. So I am a being in time, and things are happening in the world around me, and I read about them or experience them and react to them. I become interested, I start to investigate, I ponder them. In a way, the writing of a novel is less about telling a specific story and more about allowing a process of inquiry to shape what happens on the page. These events will happen in the world, they'll enter my mind, I'll start to think about them, and the juxtapositions will somehow start to generate story. At that point my job is just to follow that.

Has your appetite been whetted? Head over to Goodreads for the full interview.

Labels: , , , ,

Comments posted to the Go Big Read blog are moderated. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments that include any of the following:

1. Offensive or inappropriate language
  2. Personal attacks
  3. Copyrighted materials used without permission in cases where permission is required
  4. External links and/or comments that are not relevant to the original post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home