Friday, January 23, 2015

Woven Gardens of Hope: Afghan Women's Carpets Exhibit 

The Woven Gardens of Hope: Afghan Women's Carpets Exhibit opens today at the Helen Louise Allen Textile Collection in Nicholas Hall. The exhibition highlights a community-based program to empower Afghan women through weaving of carpets following centuries-old techniques to create a sustainable quality of life for their families. Their carpets will be shown within the context of historic carpets and textiles from this region and culture, extending a past tradition into the present.

The gallery is free and open to the public. The exhibit will be open from January 23rd through March 1st and will have five featured events during that time. The first featured event is an opening ceremony this Sunday, January 25. To learn more visit the exhibit's site here

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Comments posted to the Go Big Read blog are moderated. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments that include any of the following:

1. Offensive or inappropriate language
  2. Personal attacks
  3. Copyrighted materials used without permission in cases where permission is required
  4. External links and/or comments that are not relevant to the original post

1 Comments:

Anonymous Danijela said...

Hi I'am from Slovenia and I can only say that I admire those afghan women a lot. I did have a chance to meet on afganistan women in Slovenia and I can say all great about her and probably all afghan women. I'am just sorry that I didn't take phone number to keep in touch with her.

January 28, 2015 at 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home